Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I own a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder/player (DMR-EZ485V). It

Customer Question

I own a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder/player (DMR-EZ485V). It turns on, the date flashes, 000000, Bye and it turns off and continually repeats until I shut down the power. Where you place the disc -- it will not open and I feel that might be the problem. Any suggestions on how I can safely open it? Thank you.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Panasonic dvd recorder/player No. DMR-EZ485V / DMR-EZ48V. I had no issues in the past until Tuesday morning.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I did not want to try anything until I spoke with someone.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe that's it.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

As an initial step, can you press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and let me know if that does anything?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried that. I believe it's the disc drawer -- it does not open so I can remove the disc. The TV turns on, the unit goes on. Once the unit turns on, the time flashes (12:00 a.m.); I hear it kick in, then it displays 000000 (which is normal), BYE (which is normal); then goes off. A couple of second later, it repeats, and repeats, and repeats. When I press eject for the disc drawer to open, nothing happens.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No live phone call. I was shown how to open the disc drawer on a computer unit -- any suggestions on how I can do this on my unit?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

this is not the same optical drive used in a computer, there is no "hole" or manual release.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place). Equally concerning is the power cycling, which may be an unrelated yet much more significant issue.

There are a few things you can try for a "power eject" release:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
An IT person told me this, but after looking at the unit, I figured the two were not the same. I will try your suggestions tonight and let you know the results in the morning. Thank you and have a good evening.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took your advice. The unit acknowledges that there is a disc in the drawer, but the drawer still will not open The current routine is disc icon, 000000, BYE, time flashing and a spinning noise coming from the disc drawer. I powered off as I didn't want to leave the power on while I'm at work. My guess now is a possible motor issue, which you previously mentioned. Your thoughts or suggestions? Before I forget, the HELLO pops up if I hold the eject button long enough.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

a bad motor is likely, do you hear it straining or groaning at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe so.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

That could be the motor, but is more likely that it is straining against something else causing it to jam up.

You can try taking the entire top cover/casing off of the player to try to access better internally, but the optical drive assembly is still mostly sealed and would have to be taken apart as well.

The bigger issue here is that even if you do get it out, the underlying issue is going to be difficult or costly to repair. For a 2008 model, this system is at double its service life at this point and you would be better off replacing the entire player than trying to have it repaired. The only practical reason to try to disassemble at this point is if there is a disc inside that is valuable to you and you simply want to retrieve it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only issue is that they no longer sell recorder/players. Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

That is true, optical disc technology is considered obsolete at this point.

A few are still made, but not for US markets. You can still find some, but they are generally used or are old stock.

Do you need the vhs component too? Or could you get by with just a dvd recorder?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can get by with just a dvd recorder.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Here is a refurb model that has both: http://amzn.to/2vlwEQE

and some used dvd only models: http://amzn.to/2ui7wNP

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will check it out if mine cannot be repaired. Thank you and have a good weekend.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,