Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray DVD player. Model DMR- 540. How…

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray DVD player. Model DMR-PWT 540. How do I change it to multi zone?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

DMR-PWT 540. About 2-3 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The zone is factory set to Australia when I bought it. I have not tried yo change it before

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
Answered in 5 days by:
4/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. While you may see some “hacks” online, they are not applicable to all models, as most do not have the ability to be overridden by a software adjustment, including yours. Models with recording capability are virtually never able to be changed.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a more optimistic answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the answer,