Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am trying to repair the power supply in a Pioneer CLD

Customer Question

I am trying to repair the power supply in a Pioneer CLD 2730K but need to remove the disc tray before I can get access. The machine is dead so I cannot get it to eject the tray and I'm trying to find the lock to allow it to be removed manually. Your help will be greatly appreciated
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Oh it's probably 25 years old. One of the early laser disc players
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The machine has been working well till very recently. I only notice last night that the standby lamp had gone out and the machine could not be switched on. The mains fuse is intact but clearly the chopper supply has failed. I can't even get to it without removing the disc tray...
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so... Power supply is dead, fuse is intact, can't figure out how to remove the disc tray to get access to the power supply. That's about it at the moment.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing to try, when urging a CD drive to open its tray, is to look for a pinhole near or just below or (rarely) just above the tray. Straighten the end of a paperclip, insert it into that hold and push the switch that is under that pinhole, and the tray should unlock and eject a bit, enough to pull it out the rest of the way.

If your CD drive has no pinhole, then there is still a way to trigger the unlocking and the extension of the tray (even without power). You would have to get the cover off of the drive in question, though... and if you can see the outer cover of the CD drive unit, then you should be able to see the maker label on it, identify what drive it is, and I should be able to tell you where to trigger its unlocking mechanism.

Let me know how it goes, and/or what you have to deal with, and I will advise you further as appropriate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Russell. (I am also Russell!)I am familiar with the pin hole release of most computer drives. The machine I am attempting to work on is however not a CD drive, ROM or otherwise. It is a 12" Laser Disc drive and there is no pinhole to release the tray.I can see the rack and pinion drive to eject the tray under power but this does not appear to be what is inhibiting the ejection process. I believe there is a lock somewhere but I can't find it on the machine and I can't find reference to it in the service manual. This job needs a Pioneer tech who is familiar with where they have hidden the lock.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Well, then, to be honest, I haven't opened up a laser disc player, so I'm sure I have no specifics on this matter.

Normally I would suppose, you would work the rack-and-pinion with a small screwdriver, to urge the door open.

But, if there's a locking mechanism, it obviously has to unlock, electronically, too. (Wouldn't be much of a design otherwise!) To unlock electronically, there would have to be either an actuator, a solenoid, or perhaps a motor. Look for one of those, and the lock should be near it (excepting the motor that drives the door open - unless it has a latch-and-actuator mounted on it, maybe.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your assessment of the situation is exactly the same as mine. I have the "advantage" however, of having the machine in front of me, but this is very little advantage I assure you! I have looked as well as I can, then felt around the tray to try to find a release actuator but this thing is sneaky. If I had another machine which was working and I could eject the tray ot of that I'm sure I would be able to see the locking mechanism, but in this case with a dead machine the (large) tray unfortunately obliterates almost the entirety of the machine. I think we need to contact someone who has had experience with this particular beast because I am at a dead end. I've attempted to pear through it from every angle and tried to remove as much surrounding equipment as I can to find what is inhibiting the tray but it remains elusive... Do you think you may be able to find a current or ex Pioneer tech amongst your colleagues?

OK, agreed.

But I cannot find a Pioneer-laser-disc-player Expert myself. I don't have that power, nor do I know of one.

I have done what I could, by Opting Out, opening this case to other Experts in this category.

ATTN: PIONEER LASER-DISC PLAYER EXPERTS, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has been two days now since Russell H referred my inquiry to another Electronics Technician but I have not heard anything more. At this point I am thinking I will be best served by packing the machine up and sending it to a Pioneer specialist here. Would you please arrange a refund as I do not have an answer to my question? Please advise by email as I'm not sure how to negotiate that part of the web site. (I can be contacted anytime by phone if you wish to discuss: +614 1234 4489.)Thanks and regards,
Russell