Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I bought a used pioneer pd-tm2 and am having trouble getting

Customer Question

I bought a used pioneer pd-tm2 and am having trouble getting cds to play. it was shipped to me with no cartridges and didn't have the travel screw in it. will my player be unusable now. it does go through the cds but wont play. tried both play button and random play
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its about 1992 and model is pd-tm2
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just bought it and hooked it up yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of. thank you
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

What exactly happens when you play a CD? Does the counter move?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
CDs cycle but they don't seem to be seen. Then counter just sits on 00000.
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Are they store bought CDs or burned discs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Store bought
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

So it's like the laser eye has gone out. There isn't a shipping screw on CD players, those are on turntables with much heavier motors. Lasers are about $30 to replace, and any full service electronics repair shop can do the work. If you press play when you see 00000, and it doesn't move, the laser is no good.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, thank you for your time. And for further reference for you, I copied the manual and this deck does come with a travel screw. Thank you so much
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

My mistake, that is not a usual happening. It could be that the laser just needs to be aligned, not replaced, due to the travel screw not being in place. That is done at the same shop.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cool rusty. Thanks
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Were you able to locate a repair service?