electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I am having problems with the remote control unit. Sometimes

Customer Question

I am having problems with the remote control unit. Sometimes it does not respond when buttons are pushed and I have noticed that the little green light does not come on. I have changed the batteries but that has not helped.
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is a ROKU with a serial number 2L645RO14O55 and I do not have more information than that. It was purchased through BEST BUY in late September or early October 2014.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been going on for about 2 to 3 months but it is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it does not work at all. Today I have tried to use it repeatedly without results. Then I pushed the Netflix button, the green light lit up but then the remote unit would not respond when a button was pushed.
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did unplug the unit and then plugged it in again. When it came on it did play music and when I looked up I had choices on pressing choices. I pressed the "directional plus button" and it responded to one press and then it was dead again.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 8 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answer

have you ever replace the remote battery?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is a pretty poor answer because if you had read my message the third sentence says that I have changed the batteries but that did not help.
Ok sorry about that.
Is the remote for roku 2?
Have you tried to re-pair the remote with the roku box. To pair the remote, remove the battery cover of your remote and there should be a small switch that can be pressed with paper clip or tooth pic.
While the box is on press that switch for 30 seconds and then release .power off and on the roku and let me know if you have some improvements
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tried all of those things and it still does not work properly. Could the remote have just gone bad and need replaced?

Yes, if you have tried to re-pair and it does not work, then my suggestion will be to purchase a replacement.

Here is a link for you to order replacement remote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace-IR-Remote-fit-for-Roku-1-roku2-Lt-Hd-Xd-Xs-Xds-Roku-3-Media-Player-/271958900237?hash=item3f52037e0d:g:jzAAAOSwyjBW8P2i