Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

I have a DVD recorder DMR-ex79. The reader writter mechanism

Customer Question
I have a DVD recorder...
I have a DVD recorder DMR-ex79.
The reader writter mechanism is reluctant to accept a blank disc and says not compatable etc.
Can the reader writter be replaced - how, where
Can discs be finalised on other panasonic recorders?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
11/14/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What discs are you using? Brand? Dvd- or +? R or RW?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry - it is unlikely you will be able to help much - i live in Australia
[unless there is something i can do here personally]I use Sony DVD-R

Yes I know you are in AU, and I am familiar with the model.

Will it ever accept ANY disc?

Have you tried DVD+R format instead?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not tried +R for many yearsJust tried a Panasonic DVD RAM RW disc that came with the unit - same answer 'no read'[Do you think you will be able to find a satisfactory answer - i don't want to waste your time or my deposit]
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does accept discs to watch discs i have already recorded on

Thank you for confirming.

This is a hardware issue, not an issue with the discs, formatting, or software.

This is a normal part of age related wear and tear on these units, the "write laser" emitter diode fails with use, and for a 2009 model it is actually well past its service life.

The repair approach here would be to replace the entire drive assembly. It can be done, but is generally not practical, it would cost you far more to repair than it would to buy a whole new recorder. I can help you find a repair shop, if you'd like, but you'd be better off with a new model at this point. A new unit should still be able to play your existing recordings though.

My apologies for the news, but let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Nathan,
Sorry we were unable to get a satisfactory solution
basically you tell me it is worn out
Please understand i will not be able to agree to a fee for a 'satisfactory solution'
kind regards Michael.

Unfortunately I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem, this is the same answer you'd get at any repair shop, and be charged a $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same information. I did offer as well additional information for you, if you would like to pursue repair or replacement.

You have paid the full fee to the site already, but have not credited me for my time. You may request a refund from the help page.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Nathan, Technician