Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

My Sony hcd gx99 recently stopped opening the tray and I

can't switch between discs. I...
My Sony hcd gx99 recently stopped opening the tray and I can't switch between discs. I opened it and what looks like the disc holder lifts up and stays a little and gives up and tries a few times and then shows error
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Sony hcd-gx99 and the manufactured date shows June of 2007
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2 months maybe nothing really just opened it today
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well and occasionally wen the error shows and I press the power button it shows standby like normal but it doesn't turn off
10/18/2016
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue. Aare you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If possible yes, yes and yes and last night I figured out the second tray occasionally jams itself by for whatever reason picking it up and it shouldn't do that plus it gets confused with what disc its on

Great on the DIY!

Lets try review and check the basics:

• tray occasionally jams - there would be two (2) belts that could possibly be loose/slipping , deformed or cracked/failing;
  • confused with what disc its on - laser reader lens that is likely dusty and would need cleaning or in some cases may have grown weak.

Please click HERE for an exploded view on the belts and their location.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well belts look fine and sometimes it has some grinding of some sort wen its opening and just now I closed it but it opened rite away

Appreciate the post back.

The "...grinding..." would seem to be mechanical; gears. Have you inspected these?

And do the belts still form a perfect circle when removed from the pulleys?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure how to look for the gears and no the belts are more square

The gearing system would be underneath the tray off to 1 side.

If the belts appear to be squarish rather than a circle, then these are deformed as the corners would cause a jamming of sorts. Replacement would be the prescribed approach.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay well I took the bottom apart and from what I can see the gears look fine do you think the belts could solve all my problems

With the description of "...belts are more square...", yes; the belts would address the loading issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even the part were kids confused about which disc its on

As posted above;"...confused with what disc its on..." - laser reader lens that is likely dusty and would need cleaning or in some cases may have grown weak.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have any discs in it since it's trial and error but when I close it by pressing disc 2 then it goes to disc 3 and sometimes disc 1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But on the screen show disc 2

I understand.

Then, we're back to the belts as 1 is for loading and the other for the dics position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay well where would be the best place to get belts

The belts are Part Number 2-632-062-11 and may be inquired HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well it shows not available for resale and if I click on the radio part number there are belts but with diff part number and this other shows no match

These belts are general purpose and are even used by CD/DVD Drives of desktop computers.

Please try HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well I'll order them and see what happens

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Louie, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I received my belts off of amazon and there the size of a dime and square do they really have to stretch that much

Sorry to hear of this.

However, it was my understanding that this belt can be stretched to even 43.69mm.

What is the diameter of the old belts please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
31 mm on a caliper its bout 51 mm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
31 laying round on a table

I understand.

...and would the new belt appear to be overly stretched is place on the pulleys?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe a little but I put it all together and we'll see what happens

Yes please and would look forward to an update when able.

Louie, Technician