Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

I have a RW900MKII CD recorder. It's a little over a year

Customer Question
old. We use it the...
I have a RW900MKII CD recorder. It's a little over a year old. We use it the recorder once a week for Sunday Worship in our church. We record on a Verbatim CD-R blank CD I have also tried Sony CD's. We record on one track for 65 to 75 minutes. (We tried 1 minute tracking and it was a problem.) The problem is the recording stops with a PMA writing error at about 45 to 55 minutes of recording. The PMA error does not seem to stop, I have to turn off and back on the recorder and then it does Disk Repair and I can continue recording. I have found one interesting occurrence that is consistent. When I apply a full size CD label on the CD before recording it will fail if I do not put on a label it will work fine. I cannot explain why that would make a difference. I tested one CD with a label and with no data input and did a record till it finished the disk, no error. Then I did a recording with line in data input and it failed at 46 minutes. Have these recorders been know to have a problem like this? Any ideas of whats wrong? Thank you.--- Larry ****************
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
7/12/2016
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hi Larry, my name is ***** ***** minutes recording time on any recorder is too long. The file gets too big, and it could eventually wear out your recorder. What I recommend is stopping the recording at the 30 minute mark, then start a new recording. As a sound engineer who has done thousands of recordings, even on a computer, I know there are limitations to every machine, even a computer which times out at about the 1 hour mark.

When you put a label on the disc, it makes it heavier than the machine is intended. The motor that spins the disc is only intended to spin a disc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much, Rusty. You answers make some sense but I don't completely understand. I have also had many hours of recording time starting with cassette tapes. I have never heard of recorder having a limit of recording time on one track before the disk is full. I have not seen anything in the manual specs. Do you have any specs you can send me about recording time being used up before the CD is full? Is this something unique to the Tascam Recorder? We have been using a Marantz MACDR300 CD recorder/player for years and have never had a problem with it stopping. We fill the disk every now and then. Also I have never had my computer time out either. I record every Sunday on my Sony laptop using Adobe SoundBooth and I can record as long as I like making a .wav file as long as I have disk space.
The weight of a label is so little that it's hard to believe it would make a difference at 45 to 55 minutes of recording. Tascam advertises that they have a new TEAC tray-loading transport in this model. I have had the recorder apart and the recording device is a full sized SATA device. I have repaired many computers and the like hardware over the years and to me and I may be wrong but it looks like a hardware problem in the recorder. I know it's not easy to diagnose without having the recorder in front of you. Maybe the memory is faulty and it cannot record a full disk at one time. Do you have access to any specs on the Tascam saying it has a limited time of recording? Without having more justification of the answer I have a hard time going along with it. Thanks--- Larry

It's my experience that says don't record over a half hour. Newer machines are getting better, but it's good practice to make 30 minute tracks. It does vary from machine to machine, but as a safeguard, plan on 30 minute tracks. There isn't a spec in the world that will tell you this, it's based off of real world experience. If it's stopping at 45 minutes, you have found the limits of the machine. That's why I practice the 30 minute track rule. What if something important is not recorded because the machine failed at the wrong time? You won't have that problem with the 30 minute rule.

Discs can hold up to 80 minutes of audio, IF it is a good brand, and certain conditions don't exist. Click here to read more. Therefore, I would record 2 30 minute tracks per disc. That will leave room for finalization so you can read the discs on another player.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Thanks Rusty. I'll give the 30 min tracks a try.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer