Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

My laptop nor my Roku are not hooked up to the signal

Customer Question
for some reason today JA: Sometimes...
My laptop nor my Roku are not hooked up to the signal for some reason today
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Video Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: OK. Well first of all it was showing that my Roku was not connected to my Internet although my DirecTV had a good signal it's working fine. So I thought I would try streaming the Roku through my laptop but my laptop is not picking up my Wi-Fi either. So then yesterday I started getting no signal on my TV screen when I would try to hook up the Roku and I've unplugged it and all that and nothing is helped.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Video Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it. Thanks.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Video Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
4/5/2016
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Technician
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. The roku would not work via your laptop, that is not what it is designed for. The roku is a standalone device, meant to interface with a tv only.The roku needs a wifi (internet) connection, which is separate from the satellite signal used by your directv. Am I understanding you correctly that you can't get any wifi on the laptop, for the laptop to go to websites, etc, also? Or is the laptop working now and just the roku isn't?Can you see anything from the roku on the tv screen currently (the roku logo, home page, etc)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All it is showing is a black screen and 'no signal' floating around.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, my laptop shows that I have good reception with my Wi-Fi but it will not connect.
These are 2 separate issues at this point.I can help you with both, but we can only address 1 question at a time. Since this one is in the recorders/players category we will focus on the roku. Then I can help you with the laptop as a separate question after if you'd like. For the roku, getting "no signal" can indicate that the tv is on the wrong input mode, or that there is a problem with the cord or the roku. It is not related to the wifi connection though, the roku should still output a video signal and at least the home screen, even if wifi is off. Recheck that the cord from the roku to tv is connected tightly on both ends, and verify what port it is plugged into on the back of the tv (hdmi1, hdmi2, etc), then use the TV remote to be sure the tv is set to the proper INPUT (source) mode to pickup the roku (hdmi1, for example). When that is done, next unplug power to the roku for at least 60 seconds, and tell me if you can see anything from the roku at that point.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still no signal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R u there?
Louie, Technician