Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

I have an ASUS RT-AC68W which I'm using as a DLNA media

Customer Question

I have an ASUS RT-AC68W which I'm using as a DLNA media server. My 3 laptops can access the info on the router's hard drive but neither my Roku 4200X or the TCL Roku smart TV recognizes the media server.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

When did this occur? Was there anything specific that preceded it?

If you haven't already done a reset of the device, I would suggest that first. If you need specific instructions to do it, let me know that along with the exact model number, and I'll provide them.

You must have the appropriate media player installed as a channel. To do that, follow these steps. The player isn't compatible with all DNLA servers. Nof it doesn't work after taking these steps, and if the media servers work with other players, it may not be compatible.
From the Roku home screen, select the Roku Media Player channel. (Channel must first be installed from the Roku Channel Store. If you have a Roku TV, the Roku Media Player will come pre-installed.) If your Roku TV has not been connected to a Roku account, your can use the builtin USB Media Player.
If the video is on a USB device and your Roku has a USB port, insert the USB storage device into the USB port.
If the video is on a DLNA server, make sure the DLNA server is running and on your network.
Select the Video media type from the Media Type selection screen.
Choose the device which has the content you want to watch.
Use the arrow and select keys to navigate through your folders to find the video or movie you wish to view. If the desired file is known to not be compatible, it will not be displayed.
After navigating to the video you wish to play press PLAY or OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been using Roku Media Player on both Roku devices to no avail. If I disconnect the hard drive from the media server and connect it directly to the 4200X I can access all files on the drive. All 3 laptops can detect and access the media server's drive files but the Roku devices can't even detect the media server.

It makes sense that it would work if directly connected - it's not discovering it over the network in that case.

Have you tried "add server manually" and then adding it by IP address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you do that with the ASUS RT-AC68W?

You have to know the ip address of the ASUS RT-AC68W. Then you would use that IP address in the Roku.

Make sure the router has the latest firmware on it. Here's the support page for the router:

http://bitli.es/QjWVlb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you use the IP address in the Roku?
Actually, I think to do that will require a third party app like the Plex channel, but I will go through it on my Roku to double check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem still not resolved...can't give any positive feedback.