Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

I am getting a code of HDMI2 while trying to hook up my Roku

Customer Question
hELLO, I am getting a...
hELLO, I am getting a code of HDMI2 while trying to hook up my Roku SE, and the computer is not accepting it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
3/21/2016
Electronics Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Are you saying you are trying to connect the roku box to your PC ?

I would also require the tv`s model number please ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying to set up my new Roku to my computer.

Through a HDMI port ??

Your PC has 2 hdmi port I take it if it says something about hdmi 2 ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code I got when I turn on the tv was HDMI2, the make of tv is Sanyo, the model #is DP42840.

Now you lost me .

Are you trying to connect the Roku to the pc or the tv ?

In any case you cannot connect a Roku on a PC , the HDCP protection scheme would not let you do that and permit me to be skeptical about your pc having a HDMI input , I `ve seen pc`s with 2 hdmi outs but not IN , otherwise you could record digital content and that is a big no no in the industry , that why they have this hdcp content protect scheme

So you are trying to hook up your Roku to this sanyo hdmi 2 , is that correct ?

or you already have the pc there and trying to feed the Roku to the tv through the pc ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me break, everyone I know is using a Roku for their tv and has no problem hooking it up. Computer says I need a code. I want to dicontnue my cable.

O.k then lets try this again .

At first it sounded like you wanted to connect the Roku box directly on the pc then you said " Yes, I am trying to set up my new Roku to my computer " which only re-inforced that idea , that's what I was saying here , that cannot be done .

So lets try this again from the start

If you connect the Roku box into hdmi 2 or 3 on the tv and set the TV's input there , do you get to see anything ?

Do you see the Roku welcome or setup screen ?

The code you will need is provided by whomever you bought a subscription from , i.e Netflix , amazon prime etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get the message of NO SIGNAL on my tv screen after the HDMI2 comes up, I can do nothing with the remote for the tv.

The remote doesn`t work to change input you mean ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is what I mean I want to run roku through tthe tv.

For some reasons your TV's manual doesn`t show either the remote or controls on the tv but can you see a button on the tv labeled INPUT ?

If so , try to connect the Roku into hdmi 3 and press that button a few times until it changes to hdmi 3 ?

By the way , make sure it is HDMI and not video 2 or 3

Also make sure the Roku is turned on first

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, tried that cannot change, on the back the tv I have three inputs:red, yellow, white, they are plugged in, the the roku has three plug ins, also red yellow, white, and the hookup, the only other put is the tv plug.

O.k then this is not hdmi but composite video and you must be connected into VIDEO INPUT 1 ?

Did you say that you found the INPUT button and it doesn`t change or you did not find it ?

You got the wrong connection here lady , do you have a HDMI cable handy ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not find the input.

If so then connect it into the HDMI 2 port where the tv is now .

What are the buttons that you have on the tv , can you list them ?

That composite connection (red/white/yellow) will give you a terrible low definition picture even if you get it working , use a hdmi cable and disconnect those or the hdmi wont work

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks anyway, a friend has stopped by and will help me, please don't charge me because you didn't solve the problem
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician