electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

We cannot get full sound on our DVDs, which have previously

Customer Question

We cannot get full sound on our DVDs, which have previously worked without a problem.Voice-overs can be heard but the actors voices are not.We have a Sony Tv and a Pioneer receiver.
Jan
Australia
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the Pioneer for and when did the problem occur?

Also does it do the same thing regardless of what disc you play?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric,
We have had the Blu-ray player about 2 years. I have tried other DVDs that have previously worked perfectly but none are working as they should. We have tried to play an external hard-drive (unsuccessfully) and the problem seems to have occurred since then. The hard-drive is neither plugged-in nor connected at the moment.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Somehow, when the external drive was connected, it caused a glitch with the processor of the Pioneer. Please click on the link below and scroll to page 38, and look for "LOAD DEFAULT". Follow the instructions on the preceding page to get into the MENU, then go to the Load Defaults, and click OK to "Reset to Factory Defaults":

http://www.pioneerhongkong.com.hk/file/product551-236-download.pdf

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Hello there my guess is that plugging in the external drive, the wire feeding the center speaker on the Pioneer has gotten dislodged. Please check all your speaker wiring as the center speaker is for the voices

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked all the wiring to the best of our ability but the problem still exists.
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry for the delays. What the model of the tv?

How is your system connected to the pioneer receiver?

When was the last time the system worked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV - Sony Bravia LCD Digital Colour. Not too sure of model number. Prefix begins with KDL -
Pioneer BDP - 160 receiver
Pioneer VSX-1123-k amp
System last worked about 1 month ago.
Not too sure how to answer "how is sysyem connected to receiver". 2 cables, 1 HDMI to monitor, 1 to amp. Is that what you mean?

Ok, thanks for the update.

I would likeep to ask more questions to better understand your situation.

I would like you to look behind the receiver and follow the cable that runs to the dvd. These could be red and white. Once you identify them please swap them and try to play the dvd. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it takes 2 pairs of hands to lift the units out from their cabinet I will have to wait until next weekend when the required assistance should be available. However, we are not confident that this will solve the problem as the wires have not been moved, and we are concerned that it may cause further damage. I'd appreciated your thoughts.

Thanks for your response. From my experience the problem could be on the connection or the amplifier. I am very limited to ask questions and your I observation. If the system was infront of me, I would start with cable evaluation then taking cables off and plug them back then try another DVD player before taking the amplifier apart. This is my best approach to your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over the Easter break we hope to be able to manouver the furniture and access the sound equipment. Hopefully that will give us some idea as to the cabling issues.
I note with some concern that you have taken payment for the above suggestions although the issues have not been resolved. I was of the understanding that payment was not required until a satisfactory outcome had been reached. I consider this unfair and misleading conduct on your behalf.

Hi sorry for the delays,

The funds that were taken are being held as security deposit and will be returned to you if not satisfied. We will work with you until we get to the end.

This is a special type of question that we might have to do some troubleshooting before we reach to the answer. As previously noted, the other two experts had also tried and I am also in the process of trying to perform some analysis to arrive to what I think it is the problem. If you feel that we should stop, I would ask our customer service to close the question and issue a refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thankyou.

Great let me know your findings

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our findings did not uncover any issea with the cables.
We have had to call in a technician.
There isno need for you to further investigate and I request that you close the question and issue a refund.