Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Sylvania Portable DVD player (SDVD1030) and I

Customer Question
can't read DVDs anymore. I...
I have a Sylvania Portable DVD player (SDVD1030) and I can't read DVDs anymore. I was going to look into this.
Would there be any sort of repair manual available for this sort of thing?Right now, if put the DVD in, it makes a da-da sound, followed by a da-da sound, and then, stops, and says "can't read".
It sounds as if it is not spinning at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
3/5/2016
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 2 years ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer

Hi welcome to just answer

How long have you owned the system. When was the last time it worked?

I've had it for years..... maybe 3-4 years?? The last time it worked was maybe 6 months ago.

Have you tried lens cleaner?

Lens cleaner will clean the system laser and can be fist trial here.

You can find laser cleaner at your local Walmart or radio shack

I will suggest going this route first,

okay, thank you. I will look into getting lens cleaner, and try that as a first step.

Yes, please let me know the result

I blew air on the lens. I then applied this lens cleaning fluid with a swab. Then, I blew air on it again.
I still see the problem (disc not read).

Thanks for the update. Based on your explanation, the system has a laser failure. It is not easy to perform the test as you will need a power meter to read the lens power.

I am not sure if you would like to get the system diagnosed on one of your local electronics repair shop as I am limited here online.

At this point, I would probably evaluate repair and replacement costs.