Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My sony cdp cx455 is not working.

Customer Question
My sony cdp cx455 is not working.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
2/28/2016
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 2 years ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer

Hi Welcome just answer.

Does the system play any disk? Have you taken the cover off to look on the cd loading mechanism? This is the first thing I would suggest to look at before any thing else. Take the cover off and observe the system operation and let me know if you anything unsual. Some of failure I have seen before are related to miss alignment of the loading and counting mechanism.

When I performed the test that uses 5 disks 4 of the 5 played. I have opened the case but I do not see anything out of order. When observing the workings it seems to me that it may be mechanical, like something is blocking the turntable at one point. When performing the test per instructions the slot 160 is the problem but when I changed the order slot 400 is the problem. It seems to me that it is a mater of travel. In the first test the "blockage" is before slot 160vand when the order is changed the "blockage" is before slot 400.

Have you tried to clean the mechanism that rotates the discs. Power off the system before performing the cleaning.

I just turned on the machine after it had been unplugged over night. There are no disks loaded and the machine displays disk 40 and the turntable is rotating back and forth continuously.
how do you go about cleaning the mechanism?

I am starting to think the sensor is not finding position correctly. I am probably think, you may want clean the internal mechanism and visually looknow for debree or any pieces inside the system.

Dust is what can cause these errors. Just blow any dust you might seek on the inside.

I'll try and get back to you.

Thank, pay attention to see if the cd carrier can move to a different position when power is off.

Unit was very clean inside. Used canned air any way. No change. I ran a couple more tests: the turntable test proved there isn't any mechanical blockage, the "Spray Mode Test results: P=4.0V b=1.5V (manual states max b=1.4V) could this be a problem?
Just by chance I observed the unit tried to play disk # ***** thru 187 with no disks in those locations and when I loaded disks in those locations they played in sequence even though the unit was set on single disk??? This thing is crazy!!!

OK so the system is mechanically sound. I have looked at Sony website and they do not have a firmware for this. My only other suggestion is to contact Sony for repairs. The system uses micro controller which is similar to a computer. The system will need to be programmed externally using Sony proprietary hardware and software.

UPDATE: Test CDM: Mechanical Adj.; Table Sensor Adjustment: the pause and mega control buttons are orange. I attempted to adjust the sensor and the mega control button goes green but the pause button does not go green when the sensor is moved left and right through full range. Would this indicate the sensor is bad and would that cause the problems I have experienced? Why don't get any error codes?

I would think that the sensor has to do with what you are seeing. If you remember, I mention about checking the sensor and removing any dust. The sensor uses optics to count CD positions. If the sensor does not know what number the cd is, then it will not count right. At the same time, depending on the system, there might be a second sensor to correct the first one. If one of these fail, the accuracy of the position will never be correct.

Your comments are too general. I need some real technical help from someone who knows more about my specific device. I need someone who is not just guessing. I need to now how the sensors work. I'm sorry but you didn't help me at all.
electronicsguy
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer