Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

, I have a radio shack Accurian HD radio, and starting…

Customer Question
I have a radio...

I have a radio shack Accurian HD radio, and starting this week, it stopped working. The unit stays on (led clock) and goes between standby and on when you toggle the switch. But starting this week, if you press "on" the unit shuts down, the clock resets to 12:00 and then it powers on to standby mode (all without my touching the switch further). If I hit the power button again, it repeats... powers off, resets clock, boots up into standby.

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Video Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Video Technician should be aware of?

It has a 12v 5a power supply, in the cord

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/21/2016
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 2 years ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer

Welcome to just answer.

What is the exact model of the system? How long have you owned it? Does the system uses external power adapter or has 110V power cord?

The unit has a 12vdc jack. The power supply is on the cord, looks identical to a laptop power supply but is rated 5a, and has an "M" sized plug. The user manual, pretty useless, is here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/137692/Radio-Shack-12-1686.html. part # ***** ***** 12-1686. I've had the unit about 5 or 6 years but it has only about 100 hours on it.I had similar power issues with a flat screen tv, and it turned out to be those darn communist chinese knockoff electrolytic capacitors, with I replaced and solved.But I took this into Radio shack to try an alternate power supply. They don't have any, in fact, they have precious little to help. but he said he tested the p/s under load and it wasn't breaking down. He suggests the output transister, and this is where I'm thinking I may have brick.Again, when not failing ie. functioning according to spec, the radio goes to standby, not power off. Not ever. Clock keeps time and display stays alive 24/7. pressing the power key would take you from standby to full power up, or vice versa.starting this week, It was in standby mode, and I hit the power button. The unit lit up for a split second then went dark, complete power off, for about a second or two, then rebooted into standby mode, but with the clock now reset to12:00.The radio shack guy said the unit shut down to self protect, then reboot. I'm still thinking it looks like a p/s breakdown. I have no schematic, and I've not popped any screws. The p/s looks, like I said, like a laptop p/s except for the 12vdc5a rating, and i didn't see a way to pop it open.

Thanks for the info. The power supply is 12V with 5 ampere rating. When the unit is in the power, do you feel the power getting hot?

if you're asking if the power supply may be overheating and breaking down, I have not noticed any real heat at all. Plus, when the power supply was unplugged for several hours (from the 120v mains) and when plugged in, the unit immediately failed the same way.

Thanks for information. I am not sure whether the power supply is the problem or not.

If the internal parts have problems, I am limited to what I can do online. I would suggest purchasing another power supply and see if it is the problem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accurian-HD-Radio-Shack-12-1686-Replacement-Power-Supply-AC-Adapter-Charger-Cord-/301577200366

Well, I appreciate your candor. I won't take any further time, but I would you to process a cancellation and refund.

Rob,

Thanks for using just answer. I would suggest you take the system to a local electric tropics repair shop for evaluation.

I asked for a refund. Would you please confirm this.