Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Toshiba D-VR660KU that I use a lot TV shows. Last…

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba D-VR660KU...
I have a Toshiba D-VR660KU that I use a lot for recording TV shows. Last week I suddenly got a blue screen but unplugged and reset to factory settings, which seemed to bring things back to normal. Now I can watch DVDs with no problem but when I try to record, nothing ends up on the disk, even though I can hear the recording in progress. When I try to reformat a disk, I get the E1 28031100 Can't record to this disk error. I am using the same DVD RW disks I have always used.
Can your help?
Thank,
Kathy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
2/19/2016
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 2 years ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer

hi welcome to just answer.

How long have you owned the system? Did you move any cables ?

I've had the system since 2009 and it has been incredibly reliable up until now. As for cables, I didn't move any from their original settings.
Are you still working on this for me?

Yes

There are couple things that can cause this, one is the laser need to be cleaned. There is a special laser cleaner disk that you can purchase to clean your system.

Have you purchased another brand of dvds that are not compatible with your system.

I don't think it's a disk incompatibility problem because I have been using disks out of the same box for a while. I could try the laser disk cleaner if you think that might help. I keep hoping that there is one setting that is wrong, although I've tried to recheck all of them. Any chance that's the problem?
Here's one more data point to consider. I have been able to read Netflix disks with no problem. The only thing I can't do is record. Does that still sound like it might be a laser disk cleaning problem?

Reading disk is different than writting. If you can purchase laser cleaner and try. Let me know if that works.

I purchased a laser lens cleaner and gave it a try but it didn't solve my problem. Any other thoughts?

Ok,

Laser cleaner did not get the job done. What is the model of the DVD that you are trying to record on? Have you purchased another brand?

The unit is a Toshiba D-VR660KU and the disks I am using are rewriteable Memorex DVD-RW. It was an open pack when this problem started happening and the disks had always worked before.

Ok, thanks for the update. I am thinking your laser has lost its ability to record or burn a DVD. My suggestion would be to get this unit looked at at one of the local electronics repair shop.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. Rather than pay for a repair that might or might not work, I've decided to buy a new unit and just start over.

Thanks for using just answer. Keep this unit as you might find that your DVD is a problem on your next unit.

That's a depressing thought.

Try another brand of DVD

electronicsguy
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer