Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a small bookshelf Pioneer Radio receiver/tape player/

Customer Question
cd player. It is a...
I have a small bookshelf Pioneer Radio receiver/tape player/ cd player. It is a Pioneer model XRP240C. The Radio receiver and CD displays used to be backlit in an orange light. The Receiver display will rarely display with back light, the CD never does. While difficult to see, the display elements within the displays still display their information. Where do I start to trouble shoot this? In checking the service manual I don't see a back-light contact anywhere.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
2/8/2016
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Bob and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, are you able to locate the display module / front panel PCB (printed circuit board)?

Can you please post a clear closeup picture of this display module?

Sorry but I have to ask; are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

The back of the PCB is readily available,in a manner of speaking. I just need to get the cover off. Is that the side of interest? I am hoping to do a DIY repair.

Great on the DIY Bob!

Yes, the front panel / where the display module is soldered too would have 2 of the test points.

Do you have a download link of the service manual? Having a common reference would facilitate suspect referencing.

I have a downloaded copy of the servce manual. The pic with take a short while to take and upload

I understand and yes please; post back with a link to the service manual when able.

Thanks for the picture Bob but for some reason, the "...Service manual for the stereo...." failed to show up.

Can you please try uploading to https://www.dropbox.com/ and post back with the download link?

Ok will attempt that next
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx5u69f2ebcxotk/AACW4RgPNiR2Y9W8uAuClWN2a?dl=0

Got it; TNX again.

On p.46 top left, have you checked R001 and LP001 & 002 (most likely)? ...presence of +12V on R001 (least likely)?

A friendly reminder; voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Pioneer be plugged in, turned ON and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Thanks :-) It'll take me while to locate this on the board

Bob,

From the picture posted, it would appear to be the parts with slightly larger solder blobs behind the display module between the 2 screws.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tested.

I've measured 12V at LP001 and 0v J062. I'll need to take the board off to see what's happened there. At this point I think that's tomorrows project. Thanks Louie

Copy that Bob and would look forward to an update tomorrow or when able.

Will do. Is there a thread I would link to or how would I pickup with you on this?

Please do a Ctrl + D to bookmark this page and/or click on the links with the emails sent by the site.

Done! Thanks Louie. Will get back to you when I have more to share.

Cheers.

Hi Louie. Back from some "drama" here. I did followup on your suggestion and took the front PCB out to access the display. Once that was in front of me I could foresee another problem. The lamps are inside the front panel display. With some difficulty I could replace them The problem will first require finding replacement lamps. If I were to replace I think I would like to explore an LED option rather than a filament lamp. I appreciate your help getting me going. Education costs and I thank you for that. It would have cost me more to haul it some distance to a repair shop and be no further ahead. Knowing where the problem lay gave me something to consider. In our earlier conversation I found that the diagrams in the Service manual that were visible on my computer weren't on the tablet, that I had been initially using, which stymied me in getting a starting point. With your help and actually seeing the whole of the document it all became quite clear. I'll let this simmer for a time as I go about checking options on the lights. The rest of the unit performance wise is a good as ever so I don't really want to part with it. Thanks again. Wishing you a pleasant, and interesting day. Bob

Appreciate the update Bob.

Glad that the above information served your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.