Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

I had a portable Stereo CD System RX-ED77 10 yrs., which

Customer Question
I had a portable Stereo...
I had a portable Stereo CD System RX-ED77 for over 10 yrs., which still perform excellently. This unit included CD player, 2 cassette decks, tuner and timer. I used this unit mainly as a morning call device by playing CD music 7AM everyday but idled the
cassette decks for the last 10 years. Recently, I wish to use the cassette decks for my tape collections, but the decks would not pop up to allow placing of tape when I followed the steps provided in instruction manual. I turned on power, selected Tape mode, and then
press the Deck 1 or Deck 2 button, but neither deck would pop up. What should I do now?
I live in Richmond, BC, Canada. Is there a Panasonic Service Station near by for a check up. Chiayuan Ko, Richmond, BBC, Canada
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
1/5/2016
Electronics Technician: green-owl, Engineer replied 2 years ago
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer

Hi. That is a very distinctive looking unit, i understand why you want to keep it. This one use a motor up down for the top lid and motor for the CD tray but the Deck seem to open with the release of energy accumulated in them when manually pressed down. Usually this is a spring but perhaps it is a small air piston in that one that would need to be repositioned up or a spring that lost vigor overtime (or a plastic one that snapped by drying). The opening release of that does not feel mechanical, it seem to be a button that activate a release mechanism (that may be a small motor or a simple solenoid).

Cassette deck can eventually have rubber strap melting over time (the latex bio degrade into a goo) but rarely the opening mechanism fail. I would suspect perhaps dust or oxidation on the button contact if they rarely were used. A blown motor or solenoid is unlikely to cause both to not open. It might actually open but dust prevent the movement or keep those lids to come up being sticked.

That is the kind of job i think any electronic repair shop should be able to perform with good disassembly data. So i don't think any part will need to be ordered but only some cleaning of the internal area.

Here is the service manual to help in that task.:

http://www.manualslib.com/download/762261/Panasonic-Rx-Ed77.html

The closest place to service it (if you don't want to attempt it yourself) is IT Electronics:

http://www.itelectronics.net/

I hope this answer you to your satisfaction and that you will be able to use it again soon.

green-owl
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer