Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I have a Toshiba HD-A3KU, SN#PL27X41748, and I would like to

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba HD-A3KU, SN#PL27X41748, and I would like to play all regions. Right now I am getting "disk is PAL", unable to play. Please help resolve.
Lovemore
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The "hack" that you've found online will only work in very specific cases, with certain model players not sold in the US that are only software restricted. That process will have no effect on your system.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region (1/US) and format (NTSC) while you're attempting to play a disc from another region/format. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. Even if there was no region restriction, the format the video is encoded in (PAL) isn't readable on this unit.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction. Of course at this point HD-DVD technology is obsolete and was replaced by bluray as the industry standard. I can help you find a suitable restriction free player, if desired.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,