Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

Saw your session on the HVC-DVR267W from SONY. I have the

Customer Question
Hi, saw your session on...
Hi, saw your session on the HVC-DVR267W from SONY.
I have the Protector Push Power display and did all the recommended SONY trouble shooting.
Checked the supply and looks like prime power is not on.
Did your recommended measurements with the power supply board out of the case and get the following: TH901 : 3.5 ohms
FR901 : 0 ohms
R905 : 10 Ohms ( on the underside of the board
R912 and 913: 2.2 ohms
but R914 : 0 ohms (it says 50 ohms on the component)
Still have not done bride forward/reverse.
Is the 0 ohms for R914 significant?
Thanks Peter Gentile
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
8/27/2015
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi Peter and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Sony.
Still, a resistor reading 0Ω would most likely be shunting a shorted component not the resistor itself. Almost always, a resistor would burn open or develop high resistance rather than short or go low Ω. Hence, check the part(s) that the resistor is connected to.
The unit model has two similar numbers, the front of the unit is DAV-HDX267W, the model number on the back tag is HCD-HDX267W.
OK I could, but lack a schematic and will do the best I can tracing the broad. Is the rectifier continuity test still important.

Appreciate the model information.

Please click HERE. This is the schematics of the power supply circuit. Of particular interest would be the pin voltages of IC901.

A friendly reminder: Voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Thanks for the schematic, it is just barely readable but helps. The voltages at the regulator as measured from pin 2 as reference ground are:
pin 1 - 0.0 VDC
pin 2 - reference
pin 3 - 0.0 VDC
pin 4 - 145 VDC
pin 5 - 0 VDCSorry for the slow response - life is a bit busy right now.
If I made the measurements looks right this does not look good.I did check the diode bridge for the forward and back resistance looks like a good bridge. The voltage on the bridge ( - to + )terminal is +145 VDC.
I am trying to figure out if this unit is fixable at a reasonable cost, the unit goes for $129.00 to 700.00 on E-Bay.
I have made the $24.00 investment in you thinking I might be able to fix this .... if you think this is hopeless and the parts will be expensive I can just toss the unit out and invest my $ in a newer system.Thanks for your help. Can you tell me about the measurements I made and what you think it means.

The diagram can be enlarged as shown HERE.

From the above post, readings are:

• • pin 1 - 0.0 VDC where it should be 0.4;
  • • pin 2 - reference;
  • • pin 3 - 0.0 VDC and should be 133;
  • • pin 4 - 145 VDC but should be 29.3;
  • • pin 5 - 0 VDC expectedly should be 3.4.

Could there have been a mis-read of the pin and/or the meter perhaps? ...it should be pin 3 that would have read 133 (145)

Repairs would often require diagnosis; time-consuming in itself.

Say the switching regulator is faulty, then a replacement would be something like as shown HERE (subject to availability). It is equally possible that the zeners may have failed or leaked such as D915. Based on these, it is very possible that parts cost may reach $100.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

I will recheck the measurements and respond with results before we end the session if that is OK with you. Just need some time.
Thanks

I understand and would look forward to an update when able.

Cheers.

Louie, Technician