Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My vcr behaves normally in all other ways, but will not rewind.

Customer Question

my vcr behaves normally in all other ways, but will not rewind. Have tried different tapes
and directly on front panel instead of remote but no difference.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think that, if your VCR is usual in that it has one motor for both fast-forwarding and rewinding, the problem is likely in a 'linkage' - possibly a rubber-band-like black linkage - from the motor's gear train, to the rewind spool (and perhaps other parts.)
This may have broken (with age) or fallen off the spindle at either or both ends.
I am assuming, of course, that the attempt to rewind does not produce *any* rewinding, howsoever slowly, and that it does not produce any other action such as FF or Play movement of the tape.
Repairing this will require getting another linkage / band of the right size and tension/length, and installing it after taking the VCR apart.
(I presume your VCR is fairly old. Please tell me, if it isn't at least 3 years old, and also tell me what your locale is by e.g. zip code, and also whether you would like to repair it... and whether you want to try to repair it yourself, or send it out for repair, or take it to a local shop for repair.)