Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Why my dvd recorder can not record also it wont read any kinds…

Customer Question
why my dvd recorder can...
why my dvd recorder can not record also it wont read any kinds of cd
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
5/27/2015
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).
Follow the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.
You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.
If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at Staples, or Wal-Mart). Open the CD drawer, or remove the cover of the player by removing the screws on the sides and rear of the unit. Then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.
If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean. If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced.
On average this is a $150 repair, so in most cases it's more cost effective to replace the unit versus repairs.
Aric, Technician