Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a VSX-53 and I'm having trouble setting it up. I can

Customer Question

I have a VSX-53 and I'm having trouble setting it up. I can access the home menu for the settings but the meals speaker set-up is grayed out. So right now It seems like only the font speakers and center speaker is working. Where do I go from here?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, have you considered / tried a RESET? And have you re-checked the wiring and speaker connections using the Ω function of a multimeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went through the set-up with the microphone and I'm now getting sound out of the everything except the sub. The manual set-up option is still grayed out and cannot access it. I think I need to access that in order to adjust the sub settings to get it to turn on.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Would you consider the RESET please? This would allow you a fresh/new start and may remove any configuration glitches including the "...manual set-up option is still grayed out..."
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I reset on that model?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: please click HERE.May have to be done a number of times.This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of a hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did the reset, now I can access everything in the menu, now what do I have to do to get the sub to detect the signal? Do I have to adjust levels or anything. Also, I'm not getting any kind of lights on the front besides on that says PCM and only the L and R lights show up on the display. I may need to have someone come out here to set it up properly, I don't know much about how this stuff works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sub is a definitive tech pro 800, fyi
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Have you tested the subwoofer if it is functional? If connected by a single RCA-to-RCA cable to the Pioneer's PRE OUT SUBWOOFER, temporarily remove this cable's connection to the Pioneer. Lightly touch only the center tip of the plug which was removed from the Pioneer with other end is still connected to the subwoofer. If the subwoofer is working, then there should be a thump and/or a humming sound. And have you ensured that the front speakers are set to SMALL?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Any development(s)?
As posted above:
• test the subwoofer;
• set the front speakers to SMALL.