How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrKlahn Your Own Question
DrKlahn, Engineer
Category: Recorders and Players
Satisfied Customers: 2152
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
Type Your Recorders and Players Question Here...
DrKlahn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vintage Fisher MC-3050 integrated component stereo

Customer Question

I have a vintage Fisher MC-3050 integrated component stereo system. The turntable is grinding, and when I pull the switch to the auto function the turntable stops. Is there a way to get the gears moving without grinding? Is there a way to fix the auto function?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Good evening. I'm Bruce, nickname "DrKlahn."

Grinding noises in a turntable indicate that it is a gear-driven turntable. Looking at a photo, I see it is one of the plastic-gear-driven tables that were common from the mid-60s through the early 80s in all-in-one stereos. The plastic tends to harden over time, become brittle, and fracture. This is what I think happened in your unit and unfortunately there's no way to fix those broken gears; they must be replaced.

The way to repair the unit is to have a trained technician open the unit, disassemble the gear trains, find the problem gear(s), replace them and reassemble the unit. This can be done but it will be an expensive proposition, figuring two hours of work at $100/hour plus parts. The parts may be difficult to locate so add in $50 for parts. Total, around $250.

In this case replacement of the turntable looks like a better option. If the unit was here in front of me, I'd suggest buying an identical unit and removing the turntable for replacement into your unit. This can be done relatively quickly by any electronics repair shop or electronic hobbyist. You'll then also have every spare part you could need for any future problems.

At present there is one MC3050 on ebay.

MC3050 on ebay, $75 (delivered):

Don't hesitate to ask if any questions remain unanswered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you come across any resources that explain how to open the unit myself?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
The Sams Photofact manual for the MC3050 is available at the Sams web site. This manual gives general teardown instructions and a schematic for the electronics.

Given that the cost for the manual is $22, and that you would still need to locate and buy the failed parts, I think it is more economic to buy the other unit and cannibalize it for the turntable.

Related Recorders and Players Questions