Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

Disc Tray wont open when "open" or "eject" button pushed.

Customer Question
Disc Tray won't open when...
Disc Tray won't open when "open" or "eject" button pushed. Unit is "on" and set to DVD
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
7/19/2013
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 4 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

What is the model number of the device you are having the problem with?

Model Number is Toshiba SD -V392

DVD Video Player & Video Cassette Recorder

Andrew, can you look closely around the DVD tray to see if your device has a small hole just big enough to stick a paperclip in? If so, please do that to see if you can release the tray lock - this would also push the tray out.

No, I dont see a small hole. I can open the "flap" door and there are two small slots above the tray - one to the left of center and one to the right but no hole. The edge of the tray which I can touch, has no movement or looseness as though it coulld move in or out.

Andrew is yours more than one piece or does it look like this? This is the diagram I have of your unit.

I clicked on the " graphic" but that shows a view of the tray which I can't see because it wont come out of the case. All I can see is the edge of the tray which is solid . I clicked on "View Full Image" but no image came on, just the word "done"

Michael

I was sidetracked by a message that said "Access Denied" Must have been some error or mistake because now I see your image again. That's the same image that's in my Owners Manual and I thonk it's what mine looks like The front edge is solid like that and I assume the disc tray is the same.

Relist: Other.
I got no answer, Just got responses asking questions of me which I answered. I concluded the expert, Michael Hannigan, didn't know an answer to my problem. If so, and your experts do not know an answer, please refund my deposit and I'll take the DVD to a local repair shop
Electronics Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 4 years ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Hello, my name is Shahid, I'll be happy to assist you, please post back if you still need help on Toshiba SD-V392 player issue.

Thanks.

Yes, I still need help. MIchael mentioned a "lock" that maybe could be reached by a paper clip to release the tray. I find no visible lock and don't know where it is . That location would be helpful. I assume it would be on a side or below the tray. I also wonder if the reason the tray doesn't release and come out is electronic. Would that lock be activated electronically ? Also, would there be access to tthe tray from the bottom ?

Questions but no answers. Also, as far as I know, the tray is empty - no disc in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.

- Does unit show Tray-Lock message when press Open/ Eject button?

No, the only message I see is DVD indicating that is on and not the VCR

Thanks for the info.

Would you like to try manual eject of disc tray? we need to take off top cover of unit to rotate loading gear on side of disc mechanism to get the tray out.

Well, if that's the only way to get to it, then that's what I'll have to try.I assume there's not a panel that could be removed but the whole top cover . Is that correct ?

But I can't do that now. It'll have to wait until tomorow or later.

Don't know where you are, but here it's 10:42 PM. Not the ideal time for an amateur to start that project.

And once the tray is out, is there something to do to avoid the same thing occurring again ?

By the way, the VCR side works fine .

I'm not in US but will try best to reply you in time.

Ejecting disc tray manually is an attempt to see whats going on, it might help if nothing is wrong in unit's electronics and tray just stuck and might start working normally OR we will know there is some thing else that requires deeper dive.

We need to take off top cover then take out disc mechanism and on front of disc mechanism, there is a gear, move its teeth with finger to slide the tray out. Please check following pictures that will help and you need to be careful while removing connectors on DVD board to take off disc mechanism.
If you feel its tough wok, please stop and put things back to avoid further damage.

Thanks.

OK Shahid, Because of your experience, I accept your answer as the thing to do. I appreciate your images of the unit's inner parts. That will help and I'll be careful .

Tomorrow's project. Thank you for your help.

In passing, some years ago I had a sail boat named Shahin. I was told the name signified that it sailed through the water as the hawk sails through the air. I shall remember your name as one who sails through problems.

Thanks,

Thanks Andy for kind words, Shahin meanings are exactly that you mentioned, Hawk or Falcon, Shahid means "witness".

Please post back tomorrow how manual eject process went, till then have nice sleep and good night!
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician