Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

WILL THE ROKU DEVICE WORK WITH A WIRELESS 4GB HOTSPOT OR DO

i HAVE HAVE A ROUTER...
WILL THE ROKU DEVICE WORK WITH A WIRELESS 4GB HOTSPOT OR DO i HAVE HAVE A ROUTER AND MODEM??
8/11/2012
Steve G., Engineer

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. I'm Steve. Thanks for asking your question.

The Roku only needs a wireless connection. It does not have to be a router. It will connect to your hotspot.

Now, whether or not the hotspot has the connection and bandwidth necessary to stream Netflix, Hulu etc is something that you will have to find out.

I will tell you with a Verizon 4G Hotspot, there was insufficient bandwidth for Netflix, however I was in a very rural area in NC. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Give it a try.

I'll be here if you need more help.

Please rate my service. Remember, anything less than 3 smiley faces will result in me not being compensated today for my time, knowledge and advice. We can still continue afterwards.

Thanks

Steve

Steve G., Engineer

It so happens that I have a verizon 4g plug in I use on my pc. But what if it does not work what do I need then?

I sent a followup question yesterday but didn't receive a reply so i'm doing it again. If my verizon hotspot doesn't work what do I need then?

Good morning.

You would need a standard broadband connection - from your cable company. I think Netflix recommends at least 3mbps download speed for DVD quality. http://support.netflix.com/en/node/306#gsc.tab=0

You can check your hotspot connection here: www.speedtest.net

Steve

Thanks.Speed test reveals That the verizon 4gb hotspot I have has a download speed of 25.82mbps and upload speed of 6.73mbps which appears good or netflix,etc. However, when looking at other 4gb hotspots I noticed they were advertised as "unhooked". what does that mean?

I'm not sure what 'unhooked' means, I have never heard the word associated with 4G WiFi equipment.

It certainly seems like your device will work with Netflix.

Good luck.

Steve

Steve G., Engineer