Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Roku connection error code 011

Customer Question
I get Roku connection error...

I get Roku connection error code 011. I'm trying to connect the Roku to a WiFi at a my marina, they offer the service free but for a fee I took the high speed option. I tried to connect so that I could use my password ***** get high speed so I chose the private network option and secured option and entered the password. It came back with the error code 011 and retry don't do anything different.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
6/9/2012
Electronics Technician: Engineer John C., Engineer replied 5 years ago

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Please try unplugging the Roku from the electric outlet for 5 minutes, then plug it back and try again.

If no luck, please try resetting the Roku pushing the reset hole on the back or bottom of the Roku for 20 seconds (the Roku must be turned on), and then after the 20 seconds release it and wait for it to restart. It may take like 3 or 5 minutes to restart after the reset.

Then please follow the steps below from your ROKU:
1- Go to the Settings menu, then click "Network"

2- Then you need to select "repeat guided setup"

3- Select the name of your wireless network.

4- Then if prompted, enter the password ***** your wireless network. That's it!, it should work now.

If you get an error message here, then probably you are entering the wrong network password. Do you know your wireless network password?

I'm not getting any of those features ("Network" "repeat guided setup") After reset I get the bouncing ROKU and then a screen that talks about "Set up is just a few simple step... Connect, get the latest software and Activate your Roku "Press Ok to contune"". I do all that and select the WiFi (all have the same name and I seclect the one with the strongest signal, four bars. I get the connecting to the wireless,.LAN, Connecting to the internet green lights. Then the error message 011 and try agan.
It says error 011 after you enter the wireless network password? or before?

It doesn't ask for a password ***** choosing the WiFi. It only asks for it if I choose "My network is not shown and then "private network" The first way the message shows up after I get the green lights after choosing the network. (same network)

When I just choose the second way the error code shows up after entering my id and password.

OK, please do NOT select "My network is not shown".

Try selecting a network with less signal and let me know if it works.

The same thing happens.

OK, that's weird. Do you have an Ethernet connection there? You can connect the Roku to internet with an Ethernet cable (only temporarily) to get the latest software and activate the Roku.

If it works, then disconnect the Ethernet cable and try to connect via wireless.

graphic
OK, I have to go out anyway so I will pick up an Ethernet cable. I try it when I get back. I guess I can stay logged on while I'm go but if not I can I contact you.

OK, do they provide you with an Ethernet connection there?

I should be here. If I am "offline" just reply me and I will contact you as soon as possible (usually less than one hour).

I don't see an input for Ethernet on the ROKU.
What's your Roku model?

Does it look like this one?

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_blog.roku.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/roku-rear.jpg
No. I have a Roku 2 XD. It only has HDMI,AV out and power.
OK. Was the Roku working fine before?

It seems to be an issue with the wireless connection at the marina.

I gave it a test drive at home . It connected right away with my WiFi. We I use my laptop, Kindle Fire or my IPhone here at the marina, I get the login screen and then the marina's home page.

Also at home I received a login screen from Roku. Here Roku doesn't do that.

OK, if the marina's wireless network requires a login, then you won't be able to connect the ROKU, unfortunately.

There is a workaround but not always work. You can connect a wireless router to the Ethernet connection, then connect your computer to the router wireless network and accept the marina login page.

Then connect from the ROKU to the router wireless network.

I wish I could give you better news but that is all there is.

Engineer John C., Engineer