Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

My Zune died yesterday. The display reads, Contact Support

Customer Question
My Zune died yesterday....
My Zune died yesterday. The display reads, "Contact Support." This is the second Zune to die on me in less than a week. What is up with that?

SN: 015 026 790 315
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/2/2010
Electronics Technician: Daniel, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Daniel, Engineer

Hi there happy to help.

As you probably know the Contact Support message means the Zune has reached an error and cannot recover from it.

If you have tried a reset and this did not help, the only other option that can possibly help you is to re-install the software on the Zune. I'm sending you to a couple of tutorials that will show you how to do this. (depending on if you have Zune HD or regular Zune)

They will first instruct you (with pictures) on how to re-install the software over the top of what you currently have. This will not cause you to lose data.

If that doesn't clear your error, it will instruct you on erasing the Zune, and THEN re-installing the software.

Here if you have Zune HD.......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974593/

Here if you have Zune.........

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927001/

Let me know,

-Jared

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

I have already tried reseting instructions listed on the Microsoft web sight and that is when the message, :"Contact Support" appeared on screen. So what else is there left to try?

OK, so you are not able to re-install because the Zune is frozen on Contact Support?

Which Zune do you have?

-Jared

Zune model 1376 120 GB

OK, so were you able to step through the re-install instructions or is it still frozen on Contact Support?

Edited by jaredpoz on 12/2/2010 at 8:55 PM EST
Still frozen on contact support even after multiple trys to reset acording to the uSoft instructions.

1) set Hold switch to unlocked

2) press and hold the BACK button WHILE holding the top of the Zune Pad.

Does the device restart and begin to power back up? If this works you need to continue with the instructions in the second link I provided above. (has pink pictures of the Zune)

-Jared

Edited by jaredpoz on 12/2/2010 at 9:28 PM EST
Yup. I done that before but just to make sure, I tried it again just now and same thing: :"Contact Support"
<p>Here is the exact sequence of events as I tried them:</p><p> </p><p>1. Set the HOLD SWITCH to unlock. DONE</p><p> </p><p>2. Press and hold the Back button (<) while you press and hold the top of the ZUNE PAD. When the Zune device begins to power up release the buttons DONE</p><p> </p><p>3. Immediately after you release the buttons in step 2, press and hold the following combination of buttons, depending on your Zune model:</p><p> </p><p>If you have the Zune ...Zune 120GB, immediately press and hok the BACK buttoh while you press both the ZUNE PAD and the PLAY/PAUSE button Continue to hold these buttons until your Zune device restarts and "Please wait" appears on the screen. DONE</p><p> </p><p>4. After "Connect Zune to your PC," appears connect the Zune device to the computer that has the current Zune software installed, and then update the device to the current Zune device soft ware. </p><p>THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT "Connect Zune to your PC," NEVER APPEARS ONLY "Contact Support," is visible along with the French and Spanish equvalents. </p>

OK, unfortunately I don't see any other options for you here. You will have to contact the warranty repair service here....

http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/warranty/

There is a link on the B. OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE., section you must follow. Also pay atention to the list of requirements for the warranty service.

Make sure you explain all the steps you/we have tried here. This will prove that it really has a problem.

Sorry I couldn't get it fixed for you. I don't expect you to ACCEPT this answer.

Good luck,

-Jared

Thanks for trying anyway.

Regards,

Lee

You bet,

Good luck to you.

-Jared

Daniel, Engineer