Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a sony RDR-VXD655. The DVD player/recorder skips and…

Customer Question
I have a sony RDR-VXD655...
I have a sony RDR-VXD655. The DVD player/recorder skips and freezes during playback of DVDs (recorded and store bought movies) it also skips and freezes when playing CDs. This happens about 20-25 minutes into the playback. There is no firmware upgrade from Sony for this product. Is there something else I can do? It has been in to a sony shop for repair but it still has the problem.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Recorders and Players
10/25/2010
Electronics Technician: Pradeep_tech, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Pradeep_tech
Pradeep_tech, Engineer
Hi thank you for using JA.

The first thing you can try is a laser lens CD/DVD cleaning disc, which you can get these from most electronics shops.

Just insert the disc and let it run for a couple of minutes to clear the dust / dirt from the laser pickup. You may find that this totally cures the issue.

However it is possible that the laser inside the unit has failed, this can sometimes be down to a manufacturing defect, if after cleaning you are still having problems then this will no doubt be the case. You have two choices, if you are very competent with electronics repairs then you can purchase the parts and fix it yourself.

Or you can contact a local electronics repair shop and have them fix it. I'd personally recommend taking the unit to a specialist as they can be a pain to take apart, and if you are not 100% sure on what you are doing you can further damage the unit.

Is there anything more you want to know.

Regards
Pradeep