Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have new neighbors and their dogs bark for hours

Customer Question
Hi, I have new...

Hi, I have new neighbors and their dogs bark for hours straight--on the minute. They also bark during the night and at 5:30 am, and again at 6am. I live in a condo without bylaws regarding dogs. What can I do? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have the neighbors taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

None. I tapped twice on their wall this morning because I was sleep deprived and they sent me a threatening text telling me "never do that again." Then they claimed it wasn't their dogs. This is a complex with $400, 000 condos and they're turning it into a trailer park.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Mt. Adams in Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That the owner admitted to me that his dogs were barkers and they were worried about it since they'd always lived on a farm before. That was before he now denies it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/12/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Dogs barking at all hours would give rise to a nuisance claim. If the neighbor is also a unit owner, you may want to see if the management company would inform the neighbor of the nuisance (it is basically their duty to try to rectify the situation).

If the management company (or board) do not rectify the situation, even if the bylaws are silent as to whether pets are allowed, you would have a claim in civil court based on nuisance. Sometimes, localities have noise ordinances too. You could check with the Police about it.

We can continue to discuss this if you would like to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I have been happy to answer your question for you. I hope I provided good service to you.

If you need more, just let me know.