Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I work an an apartment community and also live there. I

Customer Question
I work an an...

I work an an apartment community and also live there. I signed an employee addendum stating that in the event of termination of employment I have 7 days to move. I am thinking of resigning but I’m a single mom and can’t afford to move. I signed the lease before signing the addendum. Do I have to move?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

San Antonio Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What kind of paperwork?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
I just read the employee handbook and it says that the regional manager can decide to let me stay but that I’d have to sign a whole new lease and lease it at the new rate that it’s currently going for. I already knew I’d lose my discount but to have the normal rent jacked up seems unfair especially since I signed my lease before I ever signed my addendum
7/11/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response 1: Unfortunately, yes unless the apartment complex lets you stay at the market rate. Unfortunately, the addendum that you signed is a legally binding document.

I just read the employee handbook and it says that the regional manager can decide to let me stay but that I’d have to sign a whole new lease and lease it at the new rate that it’s currently going for. I already knew I’d lose my discount but to have the normal rent jacked up seems unfair especially since I signed my lease before I ever signed my addendum.

Response 2: Unfortunately, this is legal. If you are no longer an employee, you have to rent at the market rate.

<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor. <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">Best wishes,<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.