Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Travis County Texas. Lease with same property with the same…

Customer Question
Travis County Texas. Lease...

Travis County Texas. Lease with same property with the same lease extended with new owner for 7 years +. The new owner/ landlord for 2 + years contracted annually. Condo is up and down. i have the up and now the down is empty. i have enjoyed the roof deck and it has been my own for 7 years. They are renting below and say i have to allow the lower tenants on the roof, passing my glass windows floor to ceiling and glass doors floor to ceiling. The new tenant would enjoy my furniture on what i have known as my private deck and pass by my narrow door stoop. My landlord says i can now pay for my privacy. i have word that out of the 30-60 condos out here that would be quite the first time that ever happened. I am in the middle of this year's annual lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. just taking notes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My landlord was informed on may 3rd my garbage disposal had failed. we talked a tad. nothing

Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/11/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 9 days ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

So is there anything in your lease that gives you this space exclusively, is there access outside of your apartment. Some more information here about it all,thanks

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
i don't remember them saying specifically anything about the upper deck in the contract. they used the common space as their answer before they gave me 3 options by text yesterday

What options did they offer, is your lease up here?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
it is an outdoor
winding staircase that goes up 3 floors

I mean if the lease awards this to you and it is still in effect you have grounds to sue here.If lease is up for renewal its all on the table so to speak.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
i have 7 months left on my annual. options are they will lower the price of the lower unit and charge me for my privacy that i have enjoyed for 7 years
or allow the new tenants up stairs. the lower unit has its own patio and i do pass through that to my car

You have to decide here.Unless your lease awards you this area in the lease it sounds like a common area.I can understand your frustration but for you to have unique access to it your lease has to award that to you.You might have been using it but it is a common area unless lease awards it to you specifically.You might try to negotiate if you want it private.And you are due any repairs here to disposal or other appliances.

Prayers to you here with all.I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated,

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
thank you

You are so welcome thanks and thanks for 5 stars at top of page.Have a blessed evening.