KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
Experience:  I have over 20 years of experience in commercial real estate law, finance, consumer credit, landlord tenant, and business law.
92128996

I have a tenant renting a room with a month to month lease.

I have a tenant renting a room with a month to month lease. I would like to ask her to leave for many reasons, unpaid rent being one of them. I would like to know how she can legally retaliate if she chooses to do so.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: connecticut
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: she signed a lease when moving in
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that should be it
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello. i have a tenant renting a room and i would like to ask her to leave, unpaid rent being one of the many reasons. i would like to know how she can retaliate legally if he chooses to do so
There's no short cut to getting the tenant evicted. You have to follow the eviction laws. You have to issue the Tenant a Notice To Quit first then after a certain period of time if he doesn't quit you're going to have to go into housing court after you properly serve the tenant with a formal lawsuit , called Summary Process.It is unlikely that as a month to month tenant she can legally retaliate. As s month to month tenant you can end her tenancy with notice.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i will definitely rate it. I have done my reading and it says in CT that i do not have to have a reason to ask her to leave with a month to month lease, I have to give 3 days notice. so basically if she does not agree i have to follow through with eviction and she can basically live here for free for as long as that takes? or can she even fight that since I used the legal amount of time to ask her to leave? she has no ground to fight it and definitely cannot afford a lawyer so I don't think she will.
It is unlikely she will fight it because with the proper notice she has no valid defenses. You can ask her to leave with the service of a three day notice.Here is a link to a landlords guide on the eviction process.https://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/hm014.pdf