Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I would like to refinance my mortgage but I’m behind on my…

I would like to refinance...
I would like to refinance my mortgage but I’m behind on my hoa dues from years ago. I have a payment agreement with the attorney’s office, however, with the late fees and attorney fees, my balance doesn’t seem to be going down. What can I do?
6/9/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I am very sorry you had to go through thisHave you attempted to renegotiate and agree on a discount lump sum payment?
I have been in touch with the law office. They said that I have to pay at least 20k to enter into a new agreement
These fees were a result of me trying to work with my previous lenders to short sale my condo...I was able to refinance under HARP in 2015 but it didn’t include my 2nd mortgage nor the previous past due HOA fees
Unless amount is wrong you have to negotiate or have counsel do so. Not seeing other options.
Ok. That’s what I was figuring. In the meantime, wouldn’t have to cancel the refi with my bank?
You would not. Sometimes the bank will also step In and help negotiate with the hoaPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Acceptable. Thanks for your help!