Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I live in a condo. The foundation has cracks and…

My wife and I...

My wife and I live in a condo. The foundation has cracks and the interior floors in almost every room (subfloor) have gaps (up to 1/8"). After about 4 years, the HOA is finally going to fix the problem with the structure. During the interior repair phase (tearing out the old subfloors and replacing with new and pouring gypcrete) we need to move out for about 6 - 8 weeks. The HOA is giving us $1,000 cash and $4,000 in relief from HOA monthly dues ( currently $380/mo.). We have 2 small dogs, an 18 year old and need room for a grand piano as my wife is a pianist. Given we live in Bellevue Wa., we cannot find housing for $2,500 a month. Impossible, whether its an Airbnb, Corporate housing, hotels or apartments. The going rate for a 2 bedroom apt. in this area is more like $4,500/mo., mainly due to the shorter term ( 2 mos.). Are we entitled to more compensation ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

In Issaquah Wa. (near Bellevue Wa.)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this moment...thank you!

Answered in 1 day by:
6/9/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I’m ok to wait but want an answer.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Yes, you are under the circumstances. You need to make a formal written request for additional compensation and state your reasons just like you did here. If the HOA refuses, then you may have to file a Small Claim against the HOA at your local Courthouse, or in the alternative try to find a relatively small place for you and your family.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law