Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I don't think it is in the economic interest of our HOA to…

Customer Question
I don't think it is...
I don't think it is in the economic interest of our HOA to have a non-HOA house that is older, single-story, and doesn't match the style any of the houses on our private street. What if we simply opted to put at gate at the entrance which could only be opened by HOA members?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/6/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Please ignore my last response to your previous question. I've found your new question here.

According to the CC&Rs, the builder/owner of the annexable property has the right to use the easement if he follows the requirements of the CC&Rs. If you install a gate and thereby prohibit entry by the builder before he violates the CC&Rs, then the builder will have a legal action against the HOA for interference with the builder's easement rights. And, if you wait for the interference to occur and then install the gate, the builder can file a legal action to demand that you provide access.

Of course, if the builder uses the annexable property for commercial purposes, then he can't easily reverse that activity, assuming that commercial structures are actually built. But, it would be easy to pay any assessments that accrue in arrears.

So, the answer is, "yes," you can install a gate as a means of trying to "encourage" compliance with the CC&Rs. But, you may have to eventually provide access, regardless, dependent upon what the builder does in response.

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!