How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18372
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a renter that live in a home that is not rent

This answer was rated:

I am a renter that live in a home that is not rent controlled. The owner has legally raise the rent Kala for the past 2 years, this year $300. I made the home owner aware that they will repairs that need to be made in order for me to agree to the contract. They have not made the repairs and the contract was signed in February.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ca
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: La county
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have had them come in to look at the itemsthat needed to be repaired. Each item they have sent people over that have done fake repairs so that the items are not fixed. And so we still stand today with the same repairs that I needed to have done in February. However I am still paying the extra $300 per month. I spoke to another arbitrator and they said that the I should have a judge look at the increased amount in how it's unfair based off of the property that we live on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The contract to that we signed in February has a note on it that indicates I am agreeing to the contract as long as they do the repairs mentioned in an email that we both read and agreed to. I have a copy of the E mails and a copy of the contract.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I had a chance to review your situation; however, I'm uncertain as to what specific questions you had. What specific questions did you have for me today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The landlords are not making the repairs that we agree to in February. However I am now paying $300 more per month. I am not in a rent controlled home, and feel the rent has been raised inappropriately based off of the square footage of the home and ill repaired things that they had not taking care of period . I spoke to an arbitrator in a different county and was told that only a judge confirm they have broken the contract. I want to know how to proceed

I'm sorry to hear about that. Unless the home is under rent control, it is improbable that a court would invalidate this increased amount of money. In a different vein, the landlord still has a responsibility to make the repairs that they promised.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract because they haven't fixed the items they promised. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, excellent. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

  1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

  2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

  3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

  4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

  5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about!

Legal Eagle and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you