Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The builder of the homes in our HOA is planning to use an…

The builder of the...

The builder of the homes in our HOA is planning to use an easement to extend the street to a neighboring property that he owns without trying to pay the required maintenance for the private street (which is required in our CC&Rs). He also wants to use a portion of the the neighboring property for commercial purposes, which invalidates the easement based on our CC&Rs. What recourse do we have and how strong a case would we have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We haven't filled paper work yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Mousa Ct, San Jose, CA 95135

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is the key portion of the CC&R that applies in this case:

The key portion of the CC&R is here:2.9.2 Reservation of Easements. Declarant grants to the owner of the Annexable Property in Exhibit A or any portion thereof as the dominant tenement a nonexclusive easement over the Common Area as the servient tenement for ingress and egress over the private streets and walkways situated on the servient tenement; for access to and use of (including the right to install, maintain, repair or replace) any utility lines, cables, wires, pipes, meters or other equipment installed within, on or over the servient tenement in order to provide utility or related service to the dominant tenements, including water, electricity, telephone, gas, telecommunications, fiber optic cables, sanitary sewer or storm drainage lines or equipment; and for such access over the private streets as may be reasonably necessary to construct, sell, lease, maintain, repair and replace any Improvements and landscaping within the dominant tenements. The easements granted herein are effective only if the Annexable Property is developed for residential use and are not applicable if developed for commercial purposes. If developed for commercial purposes, the sewer line easement described in Section 2.12 shall remain in effect.2.9.3 Allocation of Maintenance and Repair Costs. Pending annexation and the commencement of assessments, if the owner of the Annexable Property or any portion thereof exercises the easement rights reserved in Section 2.9.2 above in favor of the Annexable Property, the owner of that portion of Annexable Property shall pay an equitable share of the cost of the maintenance, repair, replacement and insurance of any Improvements located within the Common Area that are used by the occupants of the applicable portion of the Annexed Property. The Owner's allocable share shall be based on the amount of use, type of use and other relevant factors. The Owner shall remit to the Association its share of the costs within 30 days after receipt of demand for same. If Owner fails to pay its share when due, the Association may bring an action in any court of competent jurisdiction to recover the cost, together with interest therein at the rate of 12% per annum, but in no event greater than the maximum rate authorized by law. In such action, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover costs and attorneys' fees.
Pending annexation and the commencement of assessments, if the owner of the Annexable Property exercises the easement rights reserved in Section 2.9.2 above if favor of the Annexable Property, the owner shall pay an equitable share of the cost of the maintenance, repair, replacement and insurance of any Improvements located within the Common Area that are used by the occupants of the applicable Annexable Property. The Owner's allocable share shall be based on the amount of use, type of use and other relevant factors. The Owner shall remit to the Association its share of the costs within 30 days after receipt of demand for same. If Owner fails to pay its share when due, the Association may bring an action in any court of competent jurisdiction to recover the cost, together with interest therein at the rate of 12% per annum, but in no event greater than the maximum rate authorized by law. In such action, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover costs and attorneys' fees.
If there are any disputes regarding the Owner's allocable share of the cost, the dispute shall be submitted to mediation and, if necessary binding arbitration, to the American Arbitration Association (AAA), any successor thereto or any other alternative dispute resolution provider acceptable to the parties for resolution. If the mediation is unsuccessful, the dispute shall be resolved by binding arbitration in accordance with AAA's commercial rules. The mediation and arbitration shall be held in the county where the Development is located. The parties shall be entitled to the discovery rights provided by Code of Civil Procedure section 1283.05. The arbitrator may award costs and attorneys' fees to the prevailing party. The arbitrator's decision shall be binding on the parties and may be enforced in any court of competent jurisdiction. If the Owner fails to initiate mediation within the 30-day period after receipt of written demand from the Association for payment of the Owner's share of the cost, it shall be presumed conclusively that the Owner has waived its mediation and arbitration rights with respect to that demand, and the Association may commence legal action to collect the Owner's share of the costs.
6/3/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose (customary legal services fees will apply).
I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, I am a California licensed real estate broker, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

Assuming that the "Annexable Property in Exhibit A" is the property to be developed, then the owner of that property must pay the fees specified in the CC&Rs, and must not use the property for any commercial purpose(s).

The issues seem pretty straightforward to me. I don't see how the owner can make a contrary argument (though, I'm pretty sure that some argument will appear, once you bring a legal action to enforce your rights under the CC&Rs.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting (customary legal services fees will apply). Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

When we discussed this matter then the builder in person and told him that our CC&Rs specifically said: 1) the easement didn't apply if there was any commercial use ; 2) if he did use the easement he'd have to be part pay dues, he said "Is this your legal opinion?" He also claimed that the fence he built was his and that he could tear it down as he chose.If we decided to take legal action, what would be the ballpark cost? Our HOA has some funds, but definitely not for a protracted legal battle.

The problem that I see concerning legal action is that the CC&Rs require arbitration for failure to pay the additional assessment fees. The provision does not cover the use of the easement for commercial purposes. So, there is a narrow question of whether or not you can force the owner into arbitration, before he fails to pay the assessment fees -- because until that occurs, your recourse would be solely to the courts.

In arbitration, you could probably get it done for $10K. In court, you're looking at $50K. Of course, most cases settle before an arbitration award or a court judgment -- which could reduce your legal expenses. But, if you start, you need to be prepared to pay for the entire case -- otherwise, you're unlikely to find a lawyer to represent your association.

The comment, "is this your legal opinion," is the typical rubbish thrown around by laypersons (and attorneys) who don't actually know the law. And, it's worked, because you didn't push back. If there were an attorney present, he/she should have countered with, "If you want to put it to the test, I'll file a complaint and then we'll see who's blowing smoke."

But, your'e not a lawyer, so it was very effective intimidation from the builder.

Bot***** *****ne, if you don't fight for your rights, you will lose them. That's been the way of the world since the beginning of time. But, there is also the potential consideration that the new development may increase your property values. I can't evaulate that possibility, but I think you may want to consider it, because sometimes the quest for "justice" operates against one's economic interests.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
I don't think it is in the economic interest of our HOA to have a non-HOA house that is older, single-story, and doesn't match the style any of the houses on our private street. What if we simply opted to put at gate at the entrance which could only be opened by HOA members?

Hello again,

Per website policy, please open a new Q&A session for your new question and reserve it only to me. This will cost you nothing extra, because you are a subscribing member to Justanswer -- and, I will receive appropriate compensation for my additional efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using justanswer!

How do I reserve it only for you?

You can put my userid in the title of your new question ("ToCustomer only"). There's also a means to expressly request a specific expert -- but, since I've never used the customer-facing interface of the website, I regret that I'm unaware of the precise steps. You can certainly contact customer service and request assistance.

Thanks for using Justanswer!