Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Finally someone i can speak too. No i got served my 3 day…

Customer Question
Finally someone i can...

Finally someone i can speak too

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No i got served my 3 day pay or quit then i got served a unlawful detainer, im stuck from here tho

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They served me with a 6o day move out cause they are selling the home, we are in a year lease i signed in september of 2017, As you see here our lease is broken here not bye me (tenant) but bye landlord. i am financially struggling i cant afford to pay rent and still move

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
hello
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Are you currently behind on the rent?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I didn't pay his months rent whichever is may. Cause on may 1st they served me with a 60 day move out. Cause they are selling the home
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I signed a year lease last September for another year ending September 2018
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I can't afford to pay my rent and unexpectedly have to move. I thought that's what a lease was suppose to protect you from?

Ok, first...they can't legally terminate the lease. You are correct that it is a legally binding document that either party can enforce.

.

But you have to pay the rent.

.

If they gave you a notice to terminate, your recourse is to check with someone, like an attorney, (or JA) to see if they can do so, which they can't..

.

But when you stopped paying rent, that gives them the right to legally terminate your tenancy with a 3 day pay or vacate notice and then evict through the courts..

.

If you had paid the rent, there is nothing they could have done to end your lease... any new owner would just have become the landlord.

.

So when you go to court, you can try to explain to the judge that you felt you were justified in not paying rent to save up for the move..

.

But even if they did have the right to terminate, you still would have to pay rent for that 60 days.... so I hate to say it, but you are legally in the wrong here..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 19 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much