Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can i sue my realtor for not letting me know about capital…

Customer Question
Can i sue my...

Can i sue my realtor for not letting me know about capital gains tax. I sold my house exactly 14 days before i lived in it for 2 yrs. Not knowing that i would have to pay 10 thousand dollars in taxes because i didnt live in my house for 2yrs

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I just wanted to know if my realtor should have told me about the tax or sugest that i sell my home on april 23 not April 9 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The realtor was also the listing agent for the home i bought

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 18 days ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did the realtor give you legal advice regarding taxes?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Not until after i got upset about her not telling me about my capital gains tax. Then she told me to start up the coffee shop and use it as a tax right off

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, the realtor is not allowed to give legal advice. So, it could have been malpractice if they gave tax advice. However, the taxes are not something the realtor is obligated to, or even should be, advising you on.

If she gave the wrong information, that would give rise to a claim, but not giving tax advice is not a claim.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.