Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am wondering how to terminate my rental lease I have a…

Customer Question
I am wondering how...

I am wondering how to terminate my rental lease I have a mouse problem that is out of control

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No i do not know what to do. i have been working with them to allow exterminating to come in once a week and to no avail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want out of the lease and would like to know if the landlord should help pay moving expenses

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 25 days ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

so the owner has been notified and refuses to rectify the situation?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i have been working with the maitenance coordinator with this to no avail , now i need to know the next step , they have been sending exterminator out but it seems to not be helping at all
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
this is not a personal landlord it is a huge apt. complex

Thank you;

the property manager is responsible for maintaining the premises in a safe and habitable condition.

Pugh v. Holmes, 486 Pa. 272, 405 A.2d 897 (1979) is the PA case that established this implied warranty and made it non-waivable.

One moment please.

There are 2 options available when the property manager (PM) refuses to rectify the situation after formal written notice and a reasonable time period has lapsed:
1. the tenant may deem it constructive eviction and move out, suing PM for moving costs and difference in rent. This is extreme and one would need adequate documentation of an ongoing problem that was allowed to continue after notice, and that was in breach of the implied warranty referenced above. As such many tenants will get a building inspector's written report, a report from an exterminator attesting to the ongoing problem/infestation, etc

2. repair and deduct from rent. This allows the tenant to take the matter in their own hands and hire a third party to see if they can rectify the situation.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what happens if i hire another exterminator and the problem is still not rectified?

Then one can pursue the constructive eviction if the exterminator determines that it is an infestation that cannot be cured.

That is when a public official's statement would be most helpful as well.

Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 20 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.