Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If someone in Iowa has permanently blocked a public right of…

Customer Question
If someone in Iowa has...
If someone in Iowa has permanently blocked a public right of way illeagaly, and I drive down it, it causes injury or damage to my self or my vehicle. Who is responsible?
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/31/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.

WHO blocked the right of way? How long was it blocked? In what manner was it blocked? What did the person driving down it do as far as putting themselves in harms way (if anything). That last part, I'm going to explain why I'm asking since I don't have any of your facts... if there is a giant boulder in the middle of a highway and someone just drives right into it, while there may be some responsibility of the town to address the boulder (if they knew or should have known about it) there was also a responsibility on the part of the driver not to drive into a known, visible hazard.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The city has been notified. A city council member is the one blocking 2 public roads and one public alleyway. Yes you can call me Mike @(###) ###-####
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago

How is this person "blocking" the road/alley. How did it cause injury/damage?

I wouldn't be able to call you until you put in a phone call request.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He has Bob wire fences arcross 2 public streets, a building, fence, and a swimming pool blocking a public alleyway.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The city council member ;-) Bob wire fences blocking to public streets a building a wooden fence a chain-link fence and a swimming pool blocking a public alleyway
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago

How does a swimming pool block a public alleyway? How would the swimming pool BE IN a public alley to begin with?

Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago

Is the barbed wire fence across a building? I'm sorry - this just seems a bit odd at the moment that someone would put barbed wire across streets and buildings ... Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Because he put the building the fence and a swimming pool in the alleyway illegally
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
across the street illegally the fence
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago

So someone constructed a building and put in a pool in an alley, a narrow strip of land? And a fence in an alley? Is that what you're trying to say?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
he built a building and a swimming pool on a public alleyway he put barbed wire fences across to public streets and close them illegally the city council member did this
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 22 days ago

I'm going to open up your question to the rest of our experts. I just don't know what to tell you about a city counsel member that allegedly builds a whole entire building and a pool in an alleyway. I certainly have never encountered alleys large enough to pop a building and a pool into - nor have I encountered people who allegedly put up barbed wire fences across public streets - so I don't think I'll be able to assist you further. Best of luck to you.