Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I leased an apt and the mgt introduced me to a roommate who…

Customer Question
I leased an apt...

I leased an apt and the mgt introduced me to a roommate who rented to. She gave me 2 months, no deposit. After 1 mo I want to move. She is locking her dog in her room and he cries all the time but she says he does not. I am miserable. Mgt says we are both on the lease. Roommate says she is on the lease. I gave her 30 days notice to vacate. I paid $2300. rent plus gas, elec, internet and $1500 deposit. Roommate says she CANNOT reimburse deposit, won't move and will only release me from the lease at the end of June but is not in a position to return the $1500 deposit to me. I am tied in knots and don't know what to do. I am not comfortable Not paying June rent not wanting someone else's bad behavior to cause me to act bad and packing up and leaving and ending up in front of a judge to decide what I should have done does not appeal. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Newport Beach, California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Month to month for 6 months (I've been here March 7th to now. They take care of maintenance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all for now.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you. Do you have a legal answer to my question?

So, is this woman a subtenant or a roommate officially?

The apartment management referred her to me and put us both on the lease. She paid me not the mgt and is ow holding my $1500 deposit against me, will not return it and says she cannot afford to return it to me, but will make a decision to release me from the lease or not at the end of June which is our agreement to be here. At the end of June she has already said she cannot afford to return my deposit but will give me what she can. I don't like that. I don't like the idea of just moving out but what recourse do I have knowing she cannot reimburse me the deposit and she won't move. I took her in with her paying 2 mos in advance so June would her her second month. She knows how this works.

I see. So, you can move out of the place if you don't like living there, but the problem is that you would still be responsible for the rent and until you move out, the landlord doesn't have to return the deposit, meaning that the roommate is the only person from whom you could recover any of it at this point.

I hate to say this, but although legally you could move out, your rights really don't apply until your lease is up.

Thank you

It's no problem.

One little known, but very effective tool that lawyers use when there isn’t a law that they can rely on to support their position is called principled negotiation. All this means is that you are looking to get something done on the basis of principles, even if you can’t find a law to support you. It takes the anxiety out of dealing with the other side because you’re focused on the facts, not each other.

Here are some simple steps you can follow:

1. Figure out what the other side’s interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

2. Think about what your interests are (saving money, saving time, etc.?);

3. Come up with 2 to 3 reasonable and objective ways to solve the problem;

4. Present it to the other side;

5. If the other side rejects, ask them, “Is there a reason why you do not feel it is necessary to negotiate?”

Of course, these are just building blocks to get the other party to help solve the dispute. Believe me when I say that good lawyers use this technique all the time to keep things out of court. You’ll find that it is very effective even with the most stubborn of individuals.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?