Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I currently reside in Texas and have a question regarding…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Hello Pearl,

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

I currently reside in Texas and have a question regarding terminating a verbal agreement at my current resident. There has not been any paperwork submitted as of yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've paid rent at my current place of resident on time for the past 9 months. Just haven't lived there in 3 months

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 26 days ago
Roy Hadavi

­­Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What is your question?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello Roy, I moved in with my roommate I found on craigslist back in August of 2017. Upon moving in I paid up front first month rent and a deposit which equates last month rent. For a total of $1900. I pay rent on time each month at the first of the month. I have not resided at the place since February, however I still paid rent. June first is approaching and I've already signed an actual lease with an apartment complex. I want to move out by June first so I wont be liable for a whole month of rent and I'm not residing there. Am I able to do so if we have a verbal agreement or not?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My roommate that I found on craigslist, we just have a verbal agreement of rent at the first of the month. We didn't actually draft a lease agreement.
Real Estate Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 25 days ago

­­Thank you for providing that information.

Answer: Unfortunately, in order to properly move out, you need to provide 30-days' notice of the intent to move out. You would then not be liable for rent after the 30-day notice. Therefore, if you give notice today, you would only be liable for June. Since you have do not have a written agreement, the agreement is considered month-to-month, which requires 30-days' notice.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope it will not affect your rating of my service.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.