Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If my neighbor put a fence on the property line is it his…

If my neighbor put...

If my neighbor put a fence on the property line is it his ,mine, or both

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your neighbor taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?

The fence was put up about 22 yrs ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Kearns ut

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes but to be honest I am not very good at this typing stuff, I put a garden in on my side of the fence and he got mad cause I put dirt against the fence and now he has taken every other slat out which gives the potential for my dogs to get out

5/30/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. The best way to determine the location of the fence and to see if any of the fence was built on your property is to hire a surveyor. The surveyor will take your deed and the property title in your name and stake out the property and provide you with a survey. That is the only absolute way to know the boundary lines of the property.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer
No you have not. I am already aware of that what I want to know is if the fence is on my property does it by law become mine regardless if he paid for it or not?

If the fence is on your property - you are entitled to remove it, alter it, etc. You can have your neighbor remove it at his cost as well.