Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm being sued by HOA FOR assessments and late fees and need…

Customer Question
I'm being sued by...

I'm being sued by HOA FOR assessments and late fees and need to know what I can do. I owe 2,525. 16 in assessments and fees and they are adding on 1647 fir attorney fees and some other 99 fee.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We've been served, never went to court. I contacted their attorney and they have been trying to negotiate payments. I have not filed any paperwork, I have only talked with the attorney via phone since we were served

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

San Antonio, TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the cost for this consultation?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Ok

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

My suggestion would be to go to your HOA board and ask for a payment plan. Typically they will waive penalties and interest but since attorney fees were actually incurred they won't waive those. The only way to challenge it is to show that you were never given proper service or notice of the violations.