Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What are the rights of a party getting 50% of the title of…

Customer Question
What are the rights...

What are the rights of a party getting 50% of the title of my house in a strict foreclosure . Are my belongings furniture etc ... protected ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Ct

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can they force me to sell , and if so, are the mortgage and other liens on the property paid first ?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
A foreclosure is a remedy in a secured loan where the title to collateral pledged in that loan is trasferred due to a default under the note.
The party taking the title in a mortgage foreclosure would not get title in the foreclosure to any property not pledged in the terms of the mortgage. So, unless the contents or chattel contained in the property were pledged as collateral, the foreclosure would not transfer those items. Only the collateral to the loan is transferred in a foreclosure. So, unless otherwise stated in the mortgage or order of foreclosure, your belongings are not at risk.
Once they become an owner in cotenancy with you it is legally possible that a sale could be legally forced, but that would require a court ordered partition and a separate legal action.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, as your satisfaction with my service is important to me.