Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Its related to damages that were caused by roommates, I'm…

Customer Question
Its related to damages...

Its related to damages that were caused by roommates, I'm losing my security deposit and am having to pay extra to cover the entire bill. All, I can say I am primarily responsible for was taking a sauce pan that I plan to return to, tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Narragansett, Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have only had a couple emails with the landlady Discussing that I shouldn't pay for damages in the other rooms, but am willing to pay for the shared living space

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a breach of contract with cigarette buds on the property. Agreement said no smoking. Mostly roommates again. I think thats it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Full Chat Text:Pearl Wilson, Lawyer's Assistant
Welcome! How can I help with your legal question?
You
Its related to damages that were caused by roommates, I'm losing my security deposit and am having to pay extra to cover the entire bill.
You
All, I can say I am primarily responsible for was taking a sauce pan that I plan to return to, tomorrow.Pearl Wilson, Lawyer's Assistant
What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
You
Narragansett, Rhode IslandPearl Wilson, Lawyer's Assistant
What steps have you taken so far?
You
I have only had a couple emails with the landlady
You
Discussing that I shouldn't pay for damages in the other rooms, but am willing to pay for the shared living spacePearl Wilson, Lawyer's Assistant
Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
You
There was a breach of contract with cigarette buds on the property. Agreement said no smoking. Mostly roommates again.
You
I think thats it.
Full Chat Text:Welcome! How can I help with your legal question?
You
You
You
What steps have you taken so far?
You
You
Discussing that I shouldn't pay for damages in the other rooms, but am willing to pay for the shared living spacePear
You
You
I think thats it.
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what you specific legal question is?

.

.

thanks

Do you think I can get my security deposit back? Especially since the others can back I had nothing to do with it.

Honestly, no. Under the law, every tenant on the lease is responsible for all the rent/damages that occur during the tenancy. So the landlord can come after one or all of you for any damages or back rent.

.

If the other people caused the damages, your recourse here is to sue them for reimbursement of anything you have to pay the landlord due to their actions.

.

But the landlord is going to apply whatever money he is holding to the damages, cleaning and any back rent owed..

.

.

thanks

Dang, sent the email preemptively. Okay, I'll make ammends. I'll just have to get my roommates to reimburse me slightly by paying the remaining bill. Thank you.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much