Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Common code enforcement question... is it legal to be fined…

Customer Question
Hello, Common code enforcement...

Hello, Common code enforcement question... is it legal to be fined by the city to leave a garbage can out front on my home ( on the side house) ? No HOA dues, no contracts, and I pay my own property taxes!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

None, I just received an administrative citation for 50.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Newman Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Apparently she came by in December and left a warring that I didn't get.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Sadly, the answer to your question is yes; the city can enforce these rules, even if you have no HOA or no dues and you pay your taxes. The city code is adopted by the local city council. It gives city officials or departments authority to enforce these rules. For those areas without an HOA, they are subject to the rule's enforcements as a condition of having the property in the area. This means that if there is a code that prohibits leaving a garbage can out, then they can enforce it. I'm very sorry. You probably have a chance to appeal if you feel like the law is unfair or if it was just unfairly applied.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?