Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in portland, OR. I was supposed to move into a place…

Customer Question
Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in portland, OR. I was supposed to move into a place 6/1/18 but have decided against. now they've refused to return any of my security deposit. (I never moved in, mind you) and the contract clearly states it as a security deposit. NOT a holding deposit. what can I do about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I emailed the agent I was working with and she clearly stated, in her words, "none, I get nothing back"

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

NW Everett st. portland, OR, the chardonnay apts

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Fox management co.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/30/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Did you sign a lease agreeing to rent the place?

.

.

thanks

i'm sorry, I don't want to pay for a phone call if that's okay

No worries, just a minute..

Ok, when you sign the lease you are legally binding yourself for the duration of the term of the lease... So you can't legally change your mind without repercussions.

.

If you break the lease, then the landlord can hold you liable for any lost rent until they re-rent. So if it takes them a month to re-rent, then they can charge you for that month..

.

So if you are going to break the lease, you need to do so in writing, sent certified mail, so you have proof. That will then trigger the landlord's duty to mitigate his damages and try to re-rent. If they can re-rent quickly, then you would be entitled to a refund of some portion of the money you paid...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much